Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Bible Reading Reflection (Gen 42-45)


Joseph must have had a keen sense of God's presence.  When he sees his brothers, the same brothers who had sold him into slavery many years before, he feels no resentment or righteous indignation toward them.  Even though he lived as a slave and was thrown into an Egyptian prison for many years, he does not retaliate or seek justice for the wrong done to him.  He understands that God's hand was in everything that happened.  The end result was that his father and the rest of his family were preserved from starvation from the seven year famine that had struck.  Who could have ever thought that this would be the end result?  I am reminded of that passage from Ecclesiastes 3 that says God has placed eternity in our hearts, but no one can fathom what God is doing from beginning to end.  I would like to see over the horizon of God's plan, but I am very limited in what I can see.  This story reminds me to trust God.  All things indeed do work out for good to those that love God. 


Lord, please help me to always be aware of your presence in all things, so that I am not shaken by what wrongly appears to be your absence, or what appears to be events outside of your control.  Help me to have the perspective and faith of Joseph so that I am always in harmony inwardly and with you. 

No comments: