Saturday, December 25, 2021

How Do I Smell?

I can't help but notice how much of man's relationship with God is depicted as various kinds of aromas under the former covenant.  Whether it is the pleasing aroma of an offering on the altar, or the scent of the anointing oil for the priests, or the incense that fills the holy place, there are all kinds of aromas that go from human activity to God's nostrils. 
 
As I reflect on all of this, it occurs to me that these are connected to emotions.  They are not just smells, but "pleasing" aromas.  I am reminded of a Star Trek character named Data.  He is an android that has no emotions.  Therefore, when he smells something, he can describe the chemical make up of what is creating the smell and nothing more.  Nothing smells sweet, nor does anything stink to him.  On the other hand, when he receives an emotion chip, suddenly things like smells, tastes, and art are completely different.  He has emotional reactions to them.  They are either pleasing or revolting. 
 
I am reminded of certain aromas that evoke vivid memories and associated emotions that go along with the memories.  The smell of fresh fatigues takes me back to basic training.  My heart races just a little as I remember the instructor yelling at my face with the brim of his smokey bear hat pressing on my forehead as I stood still at attention.  The aroma of fresh baked pies brings me back to my aunt's house during the holidays and the feeling of peace and contentment.  Someone once said that the most powerful sense that evokes memory and emotion is the sense of smell.  You can immediately see the reaction on a person's face as to whether it is pleasing or repulsive.
 
I had to ask myself what I am to learn about all the aromas God instructed for the worship Israel was to offer him.  What does this teach me about worship and service?  I am reminded that the prayers of the saints in Revelation 5:8 are portrayed as incense to God.  Paul in Philippians 4:18 refers to the contributions from churches for missions as a "fragrant offering...pleasing to God."  In Ephesians 5:2, Paul points out that Jesus provided the ultimate example of a fragrant offering to God when he wrote, "And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."  This teaches us that sincere service and worship to God is a pleasing aroma to him.  God has an emotional response to our aroma.  He either finds it pleasing or revolting.
 
It occurs to me that what makes an aroma pleasing to God is not the chemical makeup of the offering, but the spiritual makeup of the heart.  In Isaiah 1:13, God says that their incense was an abomination to him.  It was the same incense they had offered before.  However, their hearts were not devoted to God as was evidenced by their oppression and wickedness.  Therefore, rather than being a pleasing aroma, it was a putrid stench to God.  My heart must be faithful, obedient, humble, and sincere if my offering is to be pleasing to God.
 
The next time I pick up my toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, or deodorant, I will think of these things.  I practice physical hygiene so that I will not repulse the people around me.  What kind of spiritual hygiene do I need to practice before God?  Is my heart pure?  Do I offer service in his name motivated by commitment to him?  Am I obedient and faithful to him?  Do I worship and pray to him sincerely without putting on an empty performance?  How do I smell to God?

No comments: