Monday, January 08, 2018

Bible Reading Reflection (Genesis 26:3-5)

In Genesis 26:3-5, God told Isaac he would be with him, establish the oath he had made to his father, Abraham, because "Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statues, and my laws." Abraham's faithfulness and obedience to God became a lasting blessing to his children, his children's children, their children's children, and even me. I am reminded of how I have seen the same thing reflected in Christ. Hebrews 5:8 says that He learned obedience in the days of his flesh and became to source of eternal salvation to all who obey him. The faith and obedience of Christ has become a lasting blessing to all of us who believe. This is why Romans 3:21-22 says (my translation) "The righteousness of God has been made known. . . through the faith of Christ to all who believe." His faithfulness has resulted in blessings upon blessings for us.
Now, I have to ask myself what lessons God is trying to teach me here. What do I learn as a preacher of the Gospel? What lesson do I take away as a father and grandfather? Am I faithful to God? Am I obedient to the Father? If I am only partially faithful and obedient, how can I be a blessing to my children, my grandchildren, and my church family? If I want a blessing for them, don't I need to be faithful and obedient to God? Like Abraham, isn't being a good father connected to being faithful? 
It occurs to me that my faithfulness, or lack of it, affects not just me, but it affects my children and my children's children. 
Lord, please help me to be faithful. I am selfish. I am not as selfless as I need to be. I have more good intentions than I do good actions. I ask you to transform my heart and mind. Help me to focus on what really matters and what is of real substance. Thank you for the greatness of your merciful patience and love.

No comments: